A quick note about our recent NPC election

Originally posted to www.press.org December 14, 2011
As you know, we've just completed one of the more remarkable Club elections in some time. We had an unusual high level of participation, both in terms of the vote count and the number of candidates.
So, if you had anything to do with any of that, whether as a voter, or a candidate, I thank you. This involvement is a positive sign regarding the energy among our membership. Whether you voted for the victorious candidates or not, I hope you will agree that it was a robust process. We had two debates, both of which were recorded on video, to ensure candidates had wider audiences, including our many non-resident members. The candidates reached out to a variety of news bureaus to make their cases. We also worked to ensure the vote counting process was credible, including with the help of press gallery staff from Capitol Hill.

I'm also mindful that it is not easy losing an election. I have personal experience with that myself because I lost my first run for the Board of Governors in the late 90s. But taking the elevator downstairs afterward, one of our wise former presidents, David Hess, urged me to become more involved in the committee structure, to learn more about the Club and the membership. I'm convinced that my losing that race was the best thing that could have happened. I ended up serving as Chair of the Newsmakers Committee for four years before running again, and I did win a seat on the Board of Governors after that. I enjoyed the time working with the committee tremendously. It provided great experience that better prepared me for my later work, including as president.
The incoming leadership is well prepared to do important work in the days and months ahead. And I won't be going away. All former presidents serve in a non-voting role on the Board of Governors.

Let's wish all the best to our 105th president, Theresa Werner, along with all the other future and continuing leaders of the Club. And, again, thank you for your membership and participation.
We can be thankful that more than a century after its founding, the National Press Club remains vibrant and successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment